Monday, November 7, 2011

WebQuest : Personal Tech. Project #1

What's Up Doc? : Body System Exploration Activity

Above is the link to the Web Quest I have made through the Zunal website. I found using this website pretty easy. Sometimes it took me awhile to find a needed button to add something, but other than that, I didn't really have any problems. The concept of how to divide up an internet assignment like this into its component steps took me some thinking, but this assignment provided good guidelines for me to learn how to best do this. I would definitely make more webquests to use in my future classes, because it provides students an opportunity to have guided practice using internet sources, a useful life skill. It also provides extra information not always in the textbook, allows students to find information at their own levels, and can excite them through the use of technology in an exploratory fashion.

The Utah State Biology Core that my webquest covers:


Standard III: Students will understand the relationship between structure and function of organs and organ systems.
Objective 1: Describe the structure and function of organs
            ILO 4: Communicate Effectively Using Science Language and Reasoning

Additional Core that I might cover with a webquest:

           ILO 2. Manifest Scientific Attitudes and Interests
a. Voluntarily read and study books and other materials about science.
d. Accept responsibility for actively helping to resolve social, ethical and ecological problems related to science and technology.
e. Evaluate scientifically related claims against available evidence.
f. Reject pseudoscience as a source of scientific knowledge.

And these ILO's especially in relation to:

STANDARD V: Students will understand that biological diversity is a result of evolutionary processes.

I would use a webquest to support instruction on this topic, because it is a hot issue with many people. It would be very useful for students to evaluate recent sources, especially news articles, about controversial topics. This way they can form opinions, recognize biases, and defend their positions.




No comments:

Post a Comment